What kind of residence permit do you need to live in France?Print the page
While you need a visa to enter France, you must apply for a residence permit to be able to live in France. The type of residence permit you need depends on the reason for your stay.
A new type of multi-year residence permit – the Talent Passport – has recently been introduced to make France more attractive to foreign talent. You can find out more about the eligibility criteria in the various sections of this website.
Helpful tip: Citizens of a European Union or European Economic Area Member State or of Switzerland are free to enter and stay in France without requiring a residence permit. All they need do is register at the town hall in their place of residence.
Find the relevant town hall
Algerian nationals are covered by a specific scheme.
Please see accueil-étrangers.gouv.fr for further details.
To find out how to apply for a residence permit, select the type of permit that matches your circumstances:
- You are coming to run a company in France (Startup founders, company founders, company directors or legal representatives).
- You are coming to invest in France.
- You are an employee: your employer is in France.
- You are an employee: your employer is outside France.
- You are coming to provide a service.
- Other circumstances.
To get your personalized guide, go to the ‘My procedures’ section.