You are coming to run a company in France

You are coming to run a company in France

Print the page

Whether you are forming a new company, setting up a startup, or are the director of a multinational company, the Talent Passport is for you!





Foreign company directors can obtain a multi-year Talent Passport residence permit if they meet the eligibility criteria specific to the reason for their stay in France.



Eligibility criteria

Residence permit issued

Company directors


legal representatives

Company directors must provide evidence of:

  • Three months’ service in an establishment or business belonging to the same group, as an employee or company director.
  • Gross annual pay of at least three times the statutory national minimum wage (SMIC), i.e. €54,763.80 as of January 1, 2019.
  • Their appointment as legal representative of an establishment or company established in France.
‘Talent Passport – company director’ multi-year residence permit
Company founders

Company founders must provide evidence of:

  • A qualification corresponding to a master’s degree or equivalent, or at least five years’ commensurate professional experience.
  • Existence of a real and serious plan to form an economically viable business in France.
  • An investment of at least €30,000 in the planned business.
  • Sufficient annual financial means corresponding to the statutory national minimum wage (SMIC), i.e. €18,254.60 as of January 1, 2019. 
‘Talent Passport – new business’ multi-year residence permit

Startup founders


Startup founders must provide evidence of:

  • An innovative business project they want to develop in France.
  • Recognition of the project by a public-sector body (central government, local authorities, public institutions, public corporation, etc.) ;
  • Sufficient annual financial means corresponding to the statutory national minimum wage (SMIC), i.e. €18,254.60 as of January 1, 2019. 

Startuper may benefit from the French Tech Visa for Founders procedure if selected by a French Tech partner incubator.

'Talent Passport – innovative business project’ multi-year residence permit


How long will I be allowed to stay?

The maximum duration is four years on a renewable basis.

The validity period of this permit depends on the nature, characteristics and duration of the proposed project.


Helpful tip: If the planned length of stay is less than a year, foreign nationals can apply for a long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit (‘VLS-TS’) marked Passeport Talent (‘Talent Passport’).

This is valid for up to 12 months. If foreign nationals wish to stay in France beyond this period, they may apply for a four-year Talent Passport residence permit.



Obtaining a residence permit

Where to apply

You live outside France

Applicants living outside France should apply to the French consular authorities in their usual place of residence.

The residence permit should be applied for at the same time as the long-stay visa marked Passeport Talent (‘Talent Passport’) authorizing the foreign company director to enter France.

Find the relevant diplomatic or consular authority


Helpful tip: Where a new business is being formed, the consular or diplomatic authorities can refer to the Enterprise, Employment and Economy section of DIRECCTE (section 3E) for an opinion on the project, and its economic viability in particular.

Once in France, the residence permit is issued to the new business creator by the Prefect of their département of residence upon presentation of the long-stay visa.

Find the relevant Préfecture

You are already living in France

If applicants are already living in France under a different type of residence permit, they will need to apply to the Préfecture (office of the Prefect, the local representative of national government) in their place of residence for a change of status.

For further details, please see the ‘Your circumstances are changing’ section.


When should I begin the procedure?

The procedure should be initiated no earlier than three months before the date of arrival in France.
If the applicant is already living in France, the procedure should be initiated two months before the previous residence permit expires.


Documents required

Applicants can obtain a list of exactly which documents are required for a residence permit application from the authority responsible for handling the application, either in person or via its website.

Contact the relevant consular or diplomatic authority or Préfecture to obtain a list of required documents.


As an indication, you can download a list of documents that must be submitted with an application for a ‘Talent Passport’ residence permit for a company director. 


Cost of the residence permit

Applicants must pay a tax of €250 to the French Immigration and Citizenship Office (Office français de l'immigration et de l'intégration – OFII) when the permit is issued. In addition to this tax, stamp duty of €19 is also charged on residence permits.

In addition to this administrative cost of €269, the long-stay visa authorizing entry into France costs €99.

Extending your stay


Renewal applications must be submitted in the two months before the residence permit expires.

Applicants must produce documents showing that they continue to meet the conditions of issuance of their permit.

Applications should be made to the Préfecture in the applicant’s place of residence in France.

Find the relevant Préfecture

Administrative cost: €269


Change of status

In the event of a change in the holder’s professional circumstances, a change of status may be considered upon expiry of the first residence permit.

After five years’ regular and uninterrupted residence in France, an application may be made for a residence card authorizing the holder to stay and undertake any paid employment in France (subject to having the required qualifications for regulated professions).

Residence cards are issued for 10 years on a renewable basis.

For further details, please see the ‘Your circumstances are changing’ section.

Is your family coming with you?

The spouse and dependent children of the holder of a Talent Passport permit have accompanying family status.

The spouse should apply, and will be issued with a ‘Talent Passport – Family’ residence permit. This permit authorizes the family to stay and undertake any paid employment in France as long as the foreign company director’s residence permit is valid.

Administrative cost: €269 for the spouse’s residence permit and €99 per visa issued to each member of the accompanying family.

For further information, please see the ‘Is your family coming with you?’ section.

What if I do not fall into any of the previous categories?

Foreign nationals not eligible for a ‘Talent Passport’ may be eligible to stay and undertake commercial or independent business activity in France by applying for a VLS-TS marked ‘Entrepreneur/independent professional’. They must provide evidence that their project is economically viable.

Duration of first stay: 12 months

OFII medical examination: Foreign nationals must attend a medical examination within three months of arriving in France. The medical certificate issued by the OFII is requested upon issuance of the residence permit.

Republican citizenship contract (Contrat d’intégration républicaine – CIR): a CIR must be signed.

Renewal: The holder may apply for an ‘Entrepreneur/independent professional’ temporary residence permit valid for 12 months on a renewable basis, or a general multi-year residence permit valid for four years on a renewable basis, followed by a residence card.

Access to employment: The holder will be authorized to carry out the business activity on the basis of which the VLS-TS or residence permit was issued.

Obtaining a permit: At the embassy or consulate if the applicant lives outside France; at the Préfecture if the applicant is resident in France.

Documents required: Please contact the relevant authority.


As an indication, you can download a list of documents that must be submitted with an application for a ‘Entrepreneur/ independent professional’ temporary residence permit. 

Cost: VLS-TS (€241 OFII tax + €99 visa fee), temporary or multi-year residence permit (€269 OFII tax).

Family: Separate residence permit or family reunification procedure.

For further details, please see