“Employee” residence certificate

Date of update



Are you an Algerian national, wishing to work for a company in France, for a period of more than 3 months?

You must apply for a certificate of residence for “Employees”.





Under the agreement signed by France and Algeria, a one-year “employee” residence certificate may be issued to Algerian nationals wishing to exercise a salaried professional activity, and showing evidence of:

  • a long-stay “Employee”;
  • a customary medical check-up;
  • the work permit received from the competent services. The work permit application process is the responsibility of the future employer. Refer to our fact sheet on the topic.

Authorised length of stay


The validity period of this residence permit is 12 months, renewable subject to conditions.



Where to apply

You live outside France

Applicants residing outside France may go to the French diplomatic consular authorities of their place of residence to apply for an “Employee” long-stay visa.

This visa is valid for 3 months and entitles its holder to engage in a salaried professional activity immediately upon arrival in France.

More information on France-visas


Once in France, employees must apply to the Prefecture of their place of residence in France for the “Employee” residence certificate, as soon as possible, and within 2 months of their arrival in France.

You are already living in France

If applicants are already living in France under a different type of residence permit, they will need to apply to the Préfecture (office of the Prefect, the local representative of national government) in their place of residence for a change of status. The application, including the request for work permit obtained by the employer, is filed with the Prefecture of the employee’s place of residence.


Subject to eligibility, the relevant party will be given a certificate of residence marked “Employee”.


When should I begin the procedure?

The procedure should be initiated no earlier than three months before the date of arrival in France.

If the applicant is already living in France, the procedure should be initiated two months before the previous residence permit expires.

Documents required

Applicants can obtain a list of exactly which documents are required for a residence permit application from the authority responsible for handling the application, either in person or via its website. Contact the relevant consular or diplomatic authority or Préfecture to obtain a list of required documents.

As an indication, you can download a list of documents that must be submitted with an application for a certificate of residence marked “Employee”.

List of documents to provide

Cost of the residence permit


The first residence certificate is issued free of charge.

The long-stay visa authorizing entry into France costs is €99.

Extending your stay



In order to apply for the renewal of your residence permit, you must obtain the renewal of the work permit before the end of the validity of your residence certificate.

Once you have obtained the work permit, you can apply to renew your residence permit at the Prefecture or sub-prefecture of your place of residence. The procedure must be initiated within two months before the expiration date of your residence permit.

Find the compentent prefecture

Coût administratif : 225 €


Change of status

In the event of a change in the holder’s professional circumstances, a change of status may be considered at the Préfecture in the two months before the residence permit expires. They will be required to prove eligibility for the new residence permit requested.

Is your family coming with you?


Families accompanying foreign talents with this type of status are not eligible for the fast-track procedure, but can apply for a residence permit independent of that of the primary applicant (visitor status, employee status if the person in question has found a job in France for example).

Otherwise, families may apply for residency in France under family reunification terms. Family reunification terms apply when foreign nationals having resided in the country legally for at least 12 months wish to have their spouse and children join them.


For more information on the family reunification procedure, please check the French administration website

Check service-public.fr website