Is your family coming with you?

Is your family coming with you?

Print the page

Residence permits, Talent Passports and intra-company transfer (ICT) permits granted to foreign investors, company directors, startup owners and employees make it easier for your family to come to France with you.

Family members may be eligible for residence rights as well as access to employment through the ‘accompanying family’ procedure.


Helpful tip: Families not eligible for this simplified procedure can apply for a residence permit separately from the main applicant (e.g. as a visitor).

Otherwise, families have the option of coming to France on grounds of family reunification. Family reunification applies to foreign nationals who have been lawfully resident in France for at least 18 months and who wish to be joined by their spouse and children.

For further details on the family reunification procedure, see

Family members who are EU, EEA or Swiss citizens can freely enter and stay in France. Algerian citizens are covered by a specific scheme.



The simplified ‘accompanying family’ procedure is open to spouses and children under the age of 18 who are dependents of the holder of one of the following multi-year permits:


Permit held by foreign national Permit automatically issued to spouse Dependent children

Various categories of ‘Talent Passport’:

‘Talent Passport – Family’ permit 

‘Intra-company transfer’ (Salarié détaché ICT) permit ‘Intra-company transfer – Family’ (Salarié détaché ICT – Famille) permit
‘Intra-company transfer’ (Salarié détaché mobile ICT) permit ‘Intra-company transfer - Family’ (Salarié détaché mobile ICT- Famille) permit 

*Applies to children who were under the age of 18 when they entered France and who apply for a residence permit in the year they turn 18.


Helpful tip: When the family is already together in an EU Member State and living there for at least 18 months, the spouse and children are automatically eligible for a multi-year residence permit if they apply within one month of entering France.

For further information on eligibility criteria and the terms of issuance of permits, see the section on ‘Residence permits’.

Length of stay

The permit is valid for the remaining validity period of the residence permit held by the spouse or parent.


Access to paid employment

Multi-year ‘Family’ residence permits are equivalent to work permits. Their holders may undertake any paid employment.

Obtaining a residence permit

Where to apply

If your family lives outside France, they should apply to the French consular authorities in their usual place of residence.

The residence permit should be applied for at the same time as the long-stay visa marked ‘Passeport Talent – Famille’ (‘Talent Passport – Family’) authorizing entry into France.

Find the relevant diplomatic or consular authority

Once in France, the residence permit is issued to the spouse by the Prefect of their département of residence upon presentation of the long-stay visa.

Find the relevant Préfecture

If your family is already resident in France:

Your spouse, or your child upon becoming an adult, must apply to the Préfecture in their place of residence for a change of status in order to obtain a multi-year residence permit.

Find the relevant Préfecture

Documents required

Applicants can obtain a list of exactly which documents are required from the authority responsible for handling the application, either in person or via its website.

Contact the relevant consular or diplomatic authority or Préfecture to obtain a list of required documents.


As an indication, you can download a list of documents that must be submitted with an application for a multi-year residence permit under the ‘accompanying family’ procedure.



Administrative cost: €269