Renewing a work permit

Renewing a work permit

Print the page

If you hold a VLS-TS or residence permit authorizing paid employment

Your renewal application must be submitted to the Préfecture (office of the Prefect, the local representative of national government) in your place of residence in the two months before it expires.

Conditions for the renewal of these residence documents equivalent to work permits are set out in the Residence permits section.


If you hold a specific work permit

Your renewal application must be submitted to the regional office covering your place of residence in the two months before your work permit expires.

The following supporting documents must be enclosed with the renewal application:

  • Form Cerfa no. 15186*02 in four copies. Please see the explanatory notes.
  • An excerpt of the annual social security return (DADS) or employer’s electronic report (DSN) concerning the employee or their last three pay slips.
  • Where employment levels may constitute grounds for rejection, evidence of efforts made to find a candidate already in the French labor market.
  • Where applicable, a new fixed-term or permanent employment contract or an amendment to an existing contract.
  • Where applicable, when the duration of the initial assignment is extended, an amendment to the fixed-term employment contract within the limits laid down in the French Labor Code.


What to do if your employment situation changes

If the reason for your stay in France changes (e.g. from paid employment to starting up your own business), a change of status procedure may be initiated in the two months before the residence permit expires authorizing the foreign national to work in France.


Helpful tip: Some residence permits do not allow the length of stay to be extended once the assignment has been completed (for example, employees transferred between companies belonging to the same group (salarié détaché ICT) must leave France once their assignment is completed).

Find out about the change of status procedure in the Residence permits section.