Temporary residence permit marked “Employee”

Date of update


Do you want to work for more than three months for a French company?


You must apply for a residence permit.

Employees who are nationals of the EU, EEA or Switzerland are automatically entitled to pursue their activity in the same way as a French national. British citizens must now also apply for a residence permit as provided below for any arrival after January 1, 2021. Algerian citizens are subject to the stipulations of the French-Algerian Agreement (refer to our fact sheet on the topic).


Various categories of employees holding an employment contract with an employer established in France may be eligible for a multi-year Talent Passport residence permit.

For foreign employees who do not meet the conditions for one of the Talent Passports, access to the French labour market remains possible thanks to the temporary residence permit. For employees with a permanent employment contract, the temporary residence permit for ‘Employees’ entitles the holder to engage in salaried activity. The employer must file an application for the said work permit in advance.

Their employment status may, however, be contested when their application for visa and residence permit is reviewed.



Foreign employees not eligible for the “Talent Passport” residence permit or any other residence permit authorising salaried activity may benefit from the stay and access to employment in France thanks to the “Employee” temporary residence permit.
To be eligible, employees must have evidence of the following:
  • a permanent employment contract ;
  • Provided they have been awarded a work permit in advance, further to application by their employer in France. When deciding whether to issue a work permit, the competent authority takes into account employment levels in the profession and region in question, by virtue of the principle of opposability of employment status. Check our fact sheet on work permits to learn more about the procedure.

Authorised length of stay


The validity period of this residence permit is 12 months, renewable subject to conditions.


Where to apply


You live outside France

Applicants residing outside France may go to the French diplomatic consular authorities of their place of residence to apply for an “Employee” long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit (Visa de long séjour valant titre de séjour – VLS-TS).

The VLS-TS is valid for 12 months and authorises its holder to engage in a salaried professional activity upon arrival

More information on France-visas


Once in France, employees must validate their VLS-TS online with the OFII, via the dedicated platform: administration-etrangers-en-france. No application for a residence permit with the Prefecture is required during the first year of stay.

The foreign national is then asked to attend a compulsory medical examination and/or welcome visit.

You are already living in France

If applicants are already living in France under a different type of residence permit, they will need to apply to the Préfecture (office of the Prefect, the local representative of national government) in their place of residence for a change of status. The application, including the request for work permit drawn up by the employer, is filed with the Prefecture of the employee’s place of residence.

The work permit application is sent by the Prefecture to the competent authority for review.

Subject to eligibility, the relevant party will be given a temporary “Employee” residence permit valid for one year, renewable.


When should I begin the procedure?

The procedure should be initiated no earlier than three months before the date of arrival in France.

If the applicant is already living in France, the procedure should be initiated two months before the previous residence permit expires.


Documents required

Applicants can obtain a list of exactly which documents are required for a residence permit application from the authority responsible for handling the application, either in person or via its website. Contact the relevant consular or diplomatic authority or Préfecture to obtain a list of required documents.

As an indication, you can download a list of documents that must be submitted with an application for a Temporary residence permit marked ‘Employee

List of documents to provide

Cost of the residence permit


Applicants must pay a tax of €200 to the French Immigration and Citizenship Office (Office français de l’immigration et de l’intégration – OFII) when the permit is issued. In addition to this tax, stamp duty of €125 is also charged on residence permits.

In addition to this administrative cost of €225, the long-stay visa authorizing entry into France costs €99.

Extending your stay


Renewal applications must be submitted in the two months before the residence permit expires.

Applicants must produce documents showing that they continue to meet the conditions of issuance of their permit.

For the renewal of an “Employee” residence permit, the applicant must be able prove continued fulfilment of the conditions set out for residence permit eligibility, at the time of the application for renewal with the Prefecture:

  • Should the employee hold the same job, documented proof will come in the form of the work permit issued for the position held, a certificate of employment or a copy of the last 3 pay slips and the certificate of payment of social security contributions provided by the employer;
  • When the employee wishes to change employer within 1st year, the case is referred to the competent authority for review, before a new work permit can be issued;

When the employee requests a second renewal and is therefore authorised to engage in any professional activity, the “employee” residence permit is renewed on the basis of the employment certificate presented (or a copy of the last 3 pay slips), subject to employment under a permanent contract.

At the end of the first regular year of stay with a temporary “Employee” residence permit, foreigners may request the issuance of a general multi-annual residence permit for “Employees”, for a period of 4 years.

Find the relevant Préfecture

Administrative cost: €225


Change of status

In the event of a change in the holder’s professional circumstances, a change of status may be considered at the Préfecture in the two months before the residence permit expires. They will be required to prove eligibility for the new residence permit requested.


Residence card

At the end of 5 years of legal and uninterrupted residence in France, workers in this category may apply for the resident card entitling the bearer to reside on French soil and engage in any professional activity (provide they hold the necessary diplomas, if working in a regulated professions).

Residence cards are issued for 10 years we have a renewable basis.

Is your family coming with you?

Families accompanying foreign talents with this type of status are not eligible for the fast-track procedure, but can apply for a residence permit independent of that of the primary applicant (visitor status, employee status if the person in question has found a job in France for example).

Otherwise, families may apply for residency in France under family reunification terms. Family reunification terms apply when foreign nationals having resided in the country legally for at least 18 months wish to have their spouse and children join them.

For more information on the family reunification procedure, please visit service-public.fr.

Find more information on the family reunification procedure on the French Administration website

Check service-public.fr website