Graduates – “Talent Passport – Qualified employee”

Date of update



Do you want to work for more than three months for a French company?

You must apply for a residence permit if you are a national of a non-Member State of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland. British citizens must now also apply for a residence permit as provided below for any arrival after January 1, 2021. Specific requirements apply to Algerian citizens.


Various categories of employees holding an employment contract with an employer established in France may be eligible for a multi-year Talent Passport permit.


Skilled employees who hold a diploma earned at an institute of higher learning accredited at the national level at least equivalent to the grade of master or comparable may be granted a ‘Talent Passport – Qualified employee’.

The diplomas, delivered from a French higher education establishment, recognised in this respect are:

  • the professional licence (“licence professionnellle”);
  • The Specialised Master’s or Master of Science (ccredited by the French Conference des Grandes Ecoles);
  • at least equivalent to the master.





Qualified employees must have evidence of the following:


The multi-year Talent Passport residence permit is equivalent to a work permit.


During the first and second years for which their residence permit is valid, the holder must perform the professional role for which their residence permit was issued. At the end of the second year, this residence permit allows them to enter into any employment of their choice.

Authorised length of stay


The maximum duration is four years on a renewable basis.

Source : Administration


Helpful tip: If the planned length of stay is less than a year, foreign employees can apply for a long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit (‘VLS-TS’) marked Passeport Talent (‘Talent Passport’). The VLS-TS is validated directly online upon arrival in France via the dedicated platform.

This is valid for up to 12 months. If foreign nationals wish to stay in France beyond this period, they may apply for a four-year Talent Passport residence permit.

Validate online your VLS-TS!



Where to apply

You live outside France

Applicants living outside France should apply to the French consular authorities in their usual place of residence.

The application for a “Talent Passport” long-stay visa authorising entry into French territory for the foreign company leader is initiated on the official France-visas website. Read on to find out all the details.

Upon arrival in France, you will be entitled to work immediately with this visa.

More information on


Once in France, the residence permit is issued to the employee by the Prefect of their département of residence upon presentation of the long-stay visa and other supporting documents, previously provided to the Consulate.

Upon arrival, the foreign national must contact the Prefecture (office of the Prefect, the local representative of national government) of their place of residence to apply for the Talent Passport residence permit.

Find the revelant prefecture


You are already living in France

If applicants are already living in France under a different type of residence permit, they will need to apply to the Préfecture (office of the Prefect, the local representative of national government) in their place of residence for a change of status. They will be asked to prove eligibility for the desired residence permit.

When should I begin the procedure?

The procedure should be initiated no earlier than three months before the date of arrival in France.

If the applicant is already living in France, the procedure should be initiated two months before the previous residence permit expires.

Documents required

Applicants can obtain a list of exactly which documents are required for a residence permit application from the authority responsible for handling the application and on France-visas.

As an indication, you can download a list of documents that must be submitted with an application for a ‘Talent Passport –Qualified employee’

List of documents to provide

Cost of the residence permit


Applicants must pay a tax of €200 to the French Immigration and Citizenship Office (Office français de l’immigration et de l’intégration – OFII) when the permit is issued. In addition to this tax, stamp duty of €25 is also charged on residence permits.

In addition to this administrative cost of €225, the long-stay visa authorizing entry into France costs €99.

Extending your stay


Renewal applications must be submitted in the two months before the residence permit expires.

Applicants must produce documents showing that they continue to meet the conditions of issuance of their permit ainsi qu’une attestation d’activité émanant de son employeur ou une attestation d’activité professionnelle des 12 derniers mois téléchargée par le salarié sur le site

Find the relevant Préfecture

Administrative cost: €225


Change of status


In the event of a change in the holder’s professional circumstances, a change of status may be considered at the Préfecture in the two months before the residence permit expires. They will be required to prove eligibility for the new residence permit requested.


Residence card

At the end of 5 years of legal and uninterrupted residence in France, workers in this category may apply for the resident card entitling the bearer to reside on French soil and engage in any professional activity (provide they hold the necessary diplomas, if working in a regulated professions).

Residence cards are issued for 10 years we have a renewable basis.

Is your family coming with you?


The spouse and dependent children of the holder of a Talent Passport permit have accompanying family status.

The spouse should apply, and will be issued with a ‘Talent Passport – Family’ residence permit. This permit authorizes the family to stay and undertake any paid employment in France as long as the foreign employee’s residence permit is valid.

Administrative cost: €225 for the spouse’s residence permit and €99 per visa issued to each member of the accompanying family.