Brexit: I am currently living in France

Published on 13 March 2019

Will I need a residence permit to continue living in France?

[In case of agreement]

Yes. You will need to apply for the new residence permit provided for in the withdrawal agreement.

This possibility is available to all UK citizens based in France before December 31, 2020.

If you currently hold a residence permit "EU/EEA/Swiss Citizen", it will continue to be valid during the transition period until December 31, 2020.

After this date, all UK citizens wishing to continue to reside in France will have to apply for the residence permit provided for in the withdrawal agreement. The procedure for applying for this new residence permit will be specified by the French authorities and may be initiated until July 2021.

[In the event of "No Deal"]

Yes. With effect from March 29, 2019 in order to be able to reside in France, you will need to apply for a residence permit in the event of a “no-deal”. If you hold a residence permit: EU/EEA/Swiss Citizen” (optional), it must be changed.

You will have a period of a maximum of one year from the date the United Kingdom leaves the European Union to apply for a residence permit in line with your situation in France, from the Prefecture of your place of residence.

Any UK national who can prove that they have had permanent residence in France for at least 5 years may apply for a 10-year renewable residence permit.

For UK citizens who have been residents in France for less than 5 years:

  • Students
  • Employees:
    • Employees on permanent contracts - “employee” residence permit of up to 4 years, renewable;
    • Employees on fixed-term contracts - “temporary worker” residence permit, valid for 12 months;
    • Seconded employees: “Temporary worker” residence permit valid for 12 months, renewable for the duration of the secondment, if extended.

  • Entrepreneurs and legal representatives
    Self-employed UK citizens: “entrepreneur/liberal profession” residence permit up to a maximum of 4 years, renewable.

  • Family 
    For UK citizens related to another UK national in one of the above situations: “Private and family life” residence permit for the duration of the residence permit obtained.
    This concerns in particular: 
    • Spouses 
    • Dependent children under the age of 21 
    • Dependent parents.

Check out the different residence permits directly on our dedicated Visa, Staying, Working page.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

I am currently working for a French company, what will change for me?

[In case of agreement]

No formalities need to be completed during the transition period
The transition period allows you to continue to work as an employee under the same conditions, until December 31, 2020.
The future working conditions of UK employees at the end of the transition period are currently being negotiated.

[In the event of "No Deal"]

If you were hired before March 29, 2019, a work permit is not required. However, you must apply for a residence permit under the conditions described in the previous question.
You must inform your employer that you have obtained this first permit by providing a copy of the residence permit. This residence permit will authorize you to carry out your professional activity.

Helpful tip: Regulated professions are subject to specific measures.

What about my social security after March 29, 2019?

[In case of agreement]

From March 30, 2019 to December 31, 2020 (transition period), you will remain registered with the French social security system and will continue to benefit from the rights provided for in European regulations under the same conditions.

[In the event of "No Deal"]

In order to remain affiliated to the French social security system, you will have to send a copy of your residence permit to your CPAM, together with those of your family members, if applicable.

For further information on social security coverage, please visit our dedicated page "Social Protection

CLEISS ou website

I work in France and am often required to travel to the other Member States of the European Union for professional reasons. What rights will I have after March 29?

With or without a transition period, you will receive a French residence permit.
A French residence permit entitles the holder to settle and, where applicable, work in France. It also allows travel within the Schengen area up to 3 months per semester.
In order to work or settle in another Member State, you must contact the competent authorities in the country in which you wish to settle.

I am interested in acquiring French citizenship

The common rules for acquiring French citizenship apply to UK nationals.

I have been posted to France by my employer based in the UK. Can I remain covered by the UK social security?

[In case of agreement]

The regulations relating to UK employees posted to France remain applicable under the same conditions, until the end of the transition period, on December 31, 2020 (end of transition period).
You may remain covered by the UK social security system if you fulfill the conditions of secondment and if your UK employer requests the A1 form.
Form A1 certifying your situation remains valid for the duration indicated on this document.

[In the event of "No Deal"]

If you are a resident in France on the date of the exit of the UK, you will be able to remain registered to the UK social security system and continue to benefit from healthcare cover for a period of two years, under the conditions of form A1.
At the end of this period, the situation of seconded UK employees will be reviewed.

For further information on social security coverage, please visit our dedicated page "Social Protection

CLEISS ou website