A major indistrual region
Nouvelle-Aquitaine is France’s largest region by surface area, and the third largest economic region by GDP. It is home to four major industrial sectors.
As Europe’s leading agricultural region – the secondlargest in terms of the number of organic farms – Nouvelle-Aquitaine boasts a large and diverse agri-food industry : arable crops in Aquitaine and Poitou-Charentes, wine-growing with the vineyards in Bordeaux and Cognac, livestock (meat and dairy) in Limousin and Pyrénées-Atlantiques.
Aerospace and defence have an established presence in southwest France, with strong impetus provided bythe Aerospace Valley cluster. Bordeaux is a European aeronautics decision-making centre.
As mainland France’s leading region in terms of woodedareas (2.8 million hectares), Nouvelle-Aquitaine is home to timber harvesting, sawmilling and furniture-making activities, as well as the paper industry.
Thanks to the Energies Stockage cluster, the region is also well-positioned in terms of renewable energies (especially wind, geothermal, marine and solar energy). The cluster brings together stakeholders to address shared challenges, including management of intermittent renewable energies, energy storage including new forms of batteries, solar energy, hydrogen and cooperation with other materials sectors, and digital technology.
A solid ecosystem to support technology transfer and innovation
As France’s leading region in terms of support for R&D, the Nouvelle-Aquitaine ecosystem is home to a large number of clusters, “third places” (fab labs, coworking spaces) and competitiveness hubs that drive innovation in the region’s strategic sectors.
Bordeaux, which has been named a “French Tech city”, promotes ecosystems that are conducive to the creation and growth of start-ups. The Digital Aquitaine cluster provides support and impetus for joint efforts between regional companies and the digital sector. Areas such as virtual and augmented reality, video games, IT services and e-healthcare are expanding and welcoming an increasing number of investors.
27 million tourists per year – One of France most-visited regions
With its 720 km of shoreline, Nouvelle-Aquitaine is the second most-visited region in France. Visitors have a vast number of tourist destinations to choose from, set in a variety of landscapes (Bordeaux, the Dune of Pilat, Biarritz, the Arcachon basin, and more).
Welcome to the Nouvelle Aquitaine
Invest in Bordeaux has a mobility package working on : spouse employment, children’s education, Bordeaux’s living environment. Invest in Pau has created a new innovative tool dedicated to the employment of the spouse. Periguord Development has an entire page dedicated to the real estate market, health services, children’s education.
Your contact in the region
Nouvelle-Aquitaine Economic Development & Innovation Agency
6 allée du Doyen Georges Brus, 33600 PESSAC
Swann Schlosser – email@example.com
One-stop shop in the region
Where to apply for a residence permit
- Préfecture de la Gironde
BORDEAUX – Tel : +33 5 56 90 60 60 – http://www.gironde.gouv.fr/
- Préfecture de la Vienne
POITIERS – Tel: +33 5 49 55 70 00 – http://www.vienne.gouv.fr/
- Préfecture de la Charente-Maritime
LA ROCHELLE – Tel: +33 5 46 27 43 00 – http://www.charente-maritime.gouv.fr/
- Préfecture de la Charente
ANGOULÊME – Tel: +33 5 45 97 62 49 – http://www.charente.gouv.fr
- Préfecture des Deux-Sèvres
NIORT – Tel : +33 5 49 08 68 68 – http://www.deux-sevres.gouv.fr/
- Préfecture de la Haute-Vienne
LIMOGES – Tel: +33 5 55 44 18 00 – http://www.haute-vienne.gouv.fr
- Préfecture de la Creuse
GUÉRET – Tel: +33 5 55 51 59 00 – http://www.creuse.gouv.fr/
- Préfecture de la Corrèze
TULLE – Tel: +33 5 55 20 55 20 – http://www.correze.gouv.fr/
- Préfecture de la Dordogne
PÉRIGUEUX – Tel: +33 5 53 02 24 24 – http://www.dordogne.gouv.fr/
- Préfecture des Landes
MONT-DE-MARSAN – Tel: +33 5 58 06 58 06 – http://www.landes.gouv.fr/
- Préfecture de Lot-et-Garonne
AGEN – Tel : +33 5 53 77 60 47 – http://www.lot-et-garonne.gouv.fr/
- Préfecture des Pyrénées-Atlantiques,
PAU – Tel : +33 5 59 98 24 24 – http://www.pyrenees-atlantiques.gouv.fr/
List of international schools
- International School of Béarn (64) (05-59-90-09-74 – https://isbearn-pau.frogos.net/app/os#!isb/home)
- École Internationale du Bassin d’Arcachon (06-30-04-59-25, https://www.ecoleinternationaledubassin.com/)
- École Internationale Montessori, Gradignan (http://education-montessori.fr/index.html)
- Bordeaux International School (05-57-87-02-11, http://www.bordeaux-school.com/)
- La Petite École Bilingue de Bordeaux (06-82-65-90-47, http://ecolebilinguebordeaux.com/)
- École Internationale Montessori, Lussac (06-24-53-75-50, https://www.ecolelavieestbelle.com/)
- École Internationale Montessori, Anglet (05-59-52-57-26, http://lesenfantsdelaruche.weebly.com/)
The French tech locally
- Facilities for business set up
- 15 incubators, including 3 related to public research
- 9 RETIS quality label tech parks
- 1 regional technology accelerator and private accelerators
- + 50 business incubators
- + 100 third-party sites throughout the region
Significant investment in start-up projects : Fund raising support, Well-developed network of business angels, Strengthening of financing modes: the Region increases its equity participation in investment funds.
French Tech Dynamics
1 French Tech City (Bordeaux), 7 French Tech theme networks:
- #Mobility in Bordeaux
- #Entertainment (Angoulême, La Rochelle, Niort & Poitiers
- #HealthTech (Limoges & Bordeaux)
- #Retail (Bordeaux),
- #Sport (Basque Country and Landes coast)
Discover the region Nouvelle Aquitaine
- Extensive, well-preserved natural areas ranging from the Atlantic to the Pyrenees that enjoys a southern climate
- Leisure activities for every taste (skiing, hiking, surfing, golf, thalassotherapy, festivals: music, Francofolies, Comic book festival, Basque festivals, and more)
- A multitude of cultural and touristic destinations (village of Saint-Emilion, Citadel of Blaye, Futuroscope, La Rochelle Aquarium, Palmyre Zoo, Lascaux 2, Isle of Ré, Marais Poitevin), and numerous UNESCO heritage sites
- Many towns and cities with fascinating identity and heritage, including Bordeaux, Limoges, Pau, Bayonne, Biarritz, La Rochelle, Brive and Poitiers.