I am currently in France
Find out about the latest information on the stay of foreign nationals in France.
I am currently in France, can I move freely and/or travel ?
A “health pass” is now required to access some places in France.
What is the “health pass”?
The “health pass” is the presentation, in digital format (via the TousAntiCovid application) or on paper, of one of the 3 following health proofs:
To get the “health pass”, it is necessary to have a complete vaccination scheme and to wait the required time after the final injection, i.e.:
- 7 days after the 2nd injection for double injection vaccines (Pfizer/Comirnaty, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Vaxzevria/Covishield/Fiocruz/R-Covi);
- 28 days after injection for vaccines with a single injection (Johnson & Johnson);
- 7 days after a single injection for people with a history of Covid-19.
People who have been vaccinated with a Sinopharm, Sinovac, Sputnik or other vaccines can be considered as fully vaccinated:
- 7 days after the single injection of a complementary dose of Messenger RNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) for people who can justify being fully vaccinated with the Sinopharm or Sinovac vaccines (recognized by the WHO)
- 7 days after the 2nd injection of a Messenger RNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) for people who are not fully vaccinated with the Sinopharm or Sinovac vaccine (recognized by the WHO) or who are vaccinated with a Sputnik vaccine or other vaccine (not recognized by EMA or WHO).
You can pick up your certified vaccination certificate on the Health insurance website.
Proof of a negative RT-PCR or antigen test less than 24 hours old
You will be able to find the proof of your test on the SI-DEP website after the result has been registered by the health professional.
You can get the document either directly if it is printed, or with the link sent to you by email or SMS to get on the SI-DEP portal . You can then import the test result into the TousAntiCovid application.
A positive RT-PCR or antigen test attesting to recovery from Covid-19
The test has to be at least 11 days old and less than 6 months old. It indicates a limited risk of reinfection with Covid-19. The process to get your proof of positive test is the same as for negative tests.
Find more information on this subject on the website gouvernement.fr
When do I need to present a “health pass”?
Since August 9, 2021, it must be presented to access:
- trade fairs and shows, and to professional seminars ;
- leisure and cultural venues (theaters, amusement parks, concert halls, festivals, sports halls, cinemas, etc.);
- catering facilities (cafés, restaurants, etc.), with the exception of collective catering or takeaway sales of prepared meals, professional road and rail catering, room service in hotel restaurants and bars, and non-commercial catering, in particular the free distribution of meals;
- long-distance travels on the national territory (domestic flights, TGV, Intercité and night trains, inter-regional buses);
- health, social and medical services and establishments (people accompanying or visiting people in these services and establishments as well as those who are admitted for scheduled non-urgent medical care);
- shopping centers of more than 20,000 square metres, by decision of the prefect of the department.
Find out about all the places where the “health pass” is mandatory on the government website
As of August 30,2021, employees of these places and establishments have also to present it.
As of September 30, 2021, the presentation of a “health pass” is also mandatory for minors from 12 years and 2 months to 17 years old.
In these places, wearing a mask is no longer mandatory for any person who can justify a “health pass” (except for transport by train, plane or bus where it remains mandatory). However, the organizer, the operator and the prefect can make it compulsory.
I have a health proof obtained abroad, can I use it as a “health pass” once in France?
Health proof obtained in a member state of the European Union or in one of the countries belonging to the EU's covid certificate system
Some individuals may have a digital Covid certificate accepted in France if they have obtained a health proof (vaccination certificate, negative RT-PCR or antigenic test or Covid-19 recovery certificate) in one of the following countries: European Union member states, Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Cape Verde, Georgia, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Israel, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Northern Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Salvador, Serbia, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales), Uruguay or Vatican.
If you have obtained a health proof in one of these countries, you will be able to obtain a digital Covid certificate from the European Union.
You will then be able to import the certificate into the TousAntiCovid application and use this health proof as a “health pass” in France.
Health proof obtained in a country outside the European area or not belonging to the EU's covid certificate system
Non-European travelers who have obtained a health proof in a country outside the European area or not belonging to the EU’s covid certificate system can also obtain a QR code equivalent to a health pass on French territory.
You can apply for a vaccine equivalence health pass if you meet the following conditions:
- You come from a country that does not belong to the European Union;
- You are 12 years old or older. The COVID certificate is not required for minors under 12 years;
- You have been vaccinated and can justify a complete vaccination scheme with a recognized vaccine (see above the conditions of validity of a vaccination certificate);
Obtain your health pass in a pharmacy
If you are a foreigner and have been vaccinated outside Europe, you can go to a pharmacy to request a QR code equivalent to a health pass.
You will need to present your vaccination certificate issued abroad as well as your proof of identity. These supporting documents must include the surname, first name, date of birth as well as the date of vaccination, the vaccine used, the number of doses injected and the country of vaccination. The pharmacist will then be able to issue you a QR code equivalent to a health pass.
Cost: The issuance of the QR code may be billed at a maximum of € 30 (excluding taxes).
As a reminder, a temporary QR code can also be generated by a healthcare professional following a negative result to a RT-PCR or antigen test valid for 24 hours.
Obtain your health pass online
Foreign students who have been vaccinated outside the European Union can also apply online for the QR code. They have to apply for it on this page.
French citizens and their dependents (“ayants-droit“), i.e their spouse and/or minor children, who have been vaccinated outside the European Union can also apply online for the QR code. They have to apply on this website.
You will find the full procedure on the ministère de l’Europe et des affaires étrangères website.
As soon as the request is processed, you will receive an email containing a QR Code. You can then print it out or add it to the TousAntiCovid application to prove your vaccination status.
|Conditions of travel to overseas departments and regions (DROM)
Depending on your destination, you will have to respect specific sanitary measures: test, 7 days self-isolation, lockdown, compelling reason to justify and/or sworn statement.
You can find all the measures that have to be respected according to your destination on the website of the Ministry of the Interior.
I arrived in France under a short-stay visa or without any visa if I am exempted, can I leave the country?
Do not hesitate to contact your Embassy without delay to get information related the conditions of the return to your country of usual residence.
Any traveler wishing to travel to a country outside the European area or other than a “green” country, in accordance with the classification of countries according to their health situation, will have to justify a compelling reason (of health, family, professional nature that cannot be postponed or in order to return to the country of residence or of origin with no guarantee of a return to France without a compelling reason). The travel certificate that you will have to come with can be downloaded here.
The list of “green” countries, i.e. countries where the Covid-19 virus is not actively circulating, is as follows: the European area (Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and Vatican City), Australia, Argentina, Bahrein, Canada, Chili, Hong-Kong, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, New Zealand, Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, South Korea, Taïwan, Union of Comoros, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay and Vanuatu.
It will also be necessary to inquire about the health measures to be respected in the country of destination.
EU resident, I am currently in France
The borders of the European Union and of the Schengen area are still opened.
For your information, since July 1, 2021, in order to travel within the European Union or to Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Monaco or Andorra, you can use the French “travel” health pass to justify one of the health proofs required in your destination country. Indeed, you will just have to present the QR code directly in the TousAntiCovid application or in paper format, in French and English.
Nevertheless, each country is still responsible for its own entry rules. You should therefore check in advance the entry rules that have to be respected in your destination country.
Find all the information about the “travel” health pass on the website government.fr