France welcomes tech talents!Print the page
La French Tech aims to bring out successful start-ups by building on the initiatives of its members. These members are the start-ups themselves, but also the talent working forwithin the start-ups ecosystem (VCs, large groups, media, public operators, research institutes, etc.).
Many French Tech initiatives have been taken by the French Tech to attract foreign talents. The latest of them being the French Tech Visa.
The French Tech Visa is a simplified procedure, dedicated to the Tech ecosystem, for three types of international tech talent to for the obtention of ain a multi-year residence permit, known as the "Passeport Talent" ("Talent Passport").
- French Tech Visa for Founders: for international start-up founders selected by partner incubators and accelerators;
- French Tech Visa for Employees: for international talents recruited by French companies based in France recognised as innovative by the French Ministry of Economy ; and
- French Tech Visa for Investors: for international investors wanting to settle in France
French Tech Visa for Founders
French Tech Visa for Founders enables foreign startup founders to set up found their startup in France in one of a French Tech partner incubators. They may be granted a residence permit marked «Talent Passport innovative project », valid for up to 4 years, renewable.
Startup founders must provide evidence of:
- An innovative business project they want to develop in France.
- Recognition of the project by a public-sector body ;
- Sufficient annual financial means corresponding to the statutory national minimum wage (SMIC), i.e. €18,254.60 as of January 1, 2019.
Key steps :
Be selected by one (or several) of the French Tech Visa partner incubators and accelerators, through their regular process of selection.
Step 2 :
If your startup is selected by a partner incubator, your incubator will send you an official letter from the French Administration (Direccte) attesting to the innovative nature of your startup.
Step 3 :
Once this letter is obtained, apply for your long-stay visa and/ or residence permit. The procedure depends on whether or not you already live in France.
French Tech Visa for Employees
Thanks to the French Tech Visa for Employees procedure, recruiting foreign talents is made even easier for French companies recognised as innovative by the French Ministry of Economy.
They may be granted a residence permit marked « Talent Passport Qualified Employee », valid for up to 4 years, renewable.
To be considered as innovative, companies have to meet one of the following criteria :
- Receiving or having received specific state funding for innovation within the last 5 years. List of eligible state fundings is accessible here (French only).
- Be backed by an entity or VC whose main purpose is to finance or invest in innovative companies and whose securities are not listed. List of eligible entities and VCs is accessible here (in French only).
- Currently being part of a cohort of a partner Accelerator/Incubator or had been within the last 5 years.
Any innovative company that wish to recruit foreign talents can benefit from this scheme and request a certificate acknowledging its innovative nature. This request is made online via the following dedicated platform: démarches-simplifiées.fr
This certificate, valid for 3 years, must be attached to the foreign employees’ visa application and / or residence permit.
Your employer requests the a certificate acknowledging the company’s innovative nature using the dedicated platform: démarches-simplifiées.fr
Apply for your long-stay visa and / or residence permit and provide the certificate along with other supporting documents. The procedure depends on whether or not you already live in France.
French Tech Visa for Investors
The French Tech Visa for Investors procedure is designed for international investors wanting to settle in France (venture capitalists and business angels investing in startups.)
Foreign investors wishing to settle in France to undertake a planned investment can apply for a Talent Passport marked ‘Business investor’ (valid up for 4 years, renewable) if they proceed to a direct investment either:
- Personnally; or
- Via a company they control; or
- Via a company in which they have at least a 30% shareholding.
They also need to meet the following cumulative criteria:
- They are creating or protecting, or committing to create or protect, jobs within the four years following the investment;
- They are investing, or committing to invest, at least €300,000 in fixed tangible or intangible assets.
Your application will be handled on a privileged one-to-one basis. Contact: email@example.com to initiate the process.
Upon analysis of your profile and investment history, the French Tech Mission will send you an official acceptance letter stating that you are qualified for the French Tech Visa for Investors.
Apply for your long-stay visa and/ or residence permit and provide the acceptance letter along with other supporting documents. The procedure depends on whether or not you already live in France.
French Tech Ticket
The French Tech Ticket program aims to encourage foreign entrepreneurs to create their start-up in France by allowing international selected teams to access personalized support (financing, incubation, etc.).
Discover the support provided to the laureates on the French Tech Ticket website.