You are an employee: your employer is outside France

You are an employee: your employer is outside France

Print the page

Employees whose employment contract continues to be with their original employer are known as ‘posted employees’.

They are sent to France to undertake a temporary assignment under an intra-company transfer or in connection with the provision of a service.

Where employees are sent to France under an intra-company transfer, they can obtain a multi-year ‘Intra-company transfer’ residence permit (‘Salarié détaché ICT’). Applicants whose assignment is for less than one year are issued with a VLS-TS marked ‘Intra-company transfer’.

Posted employees may not remain in France and must return to their country of origin upon completing their assignment, and in any event after no more than three years.


Helpful tip: Any employer established outside France posting employees to France must declare the posting in advance to the Labor Inspectorate in the place where the assignment is to be undertaken.

For further information, please see the section on this topic




Eligibility criteria


Residence permit issued


Employees transferred within a group

Employer outside the EU

(without a French contract)

Employees posted by an employer established outside the EU must provide evidence of the following:

  • At least three months’ service in the group to which the company employing them belongs.
  • An employment contract with the home company sending them to work as a senior manager or expert in France.

No employment contract is entered into with the host company in France. 

Multi-year ‘Intra-company transfer’ residence permit

Salarié détaché ICT

Employees transferred within a group

Employer outside the EU having posted an employee within the EU

(no French or other EU Member State contract)

Employees posted in France by an employer established outside the EU, after a first posting in another EU Member State, must provide evidence of the following:

  • An ‘Intra-company transfer’ residence permit issued by another EU Member State.
  • An amendment to the employment contract entered into with their employer specifying the assignment in France and the pay conditions.
  • That their home company and the host company belong to the same group.

For assignments of less than 90 days, the employer of the employee posted to France must give advance notification to the Prefect of the département where the host company is located (using form Cerfa no. 15618*01).

Multi-year ‘Intra-company transfer’ residence permit

Salarié détaché mobile ICT

Other posted employees Not eligible for multi-year residence permits. ‘Temporary worker’ temporary residence permit


The multi-year ‘Intra-company transfer’ residence permit (Salarié détaché ICT or Salarié détaché mobile ICT) is also valid as a work permit.

Holders may undertake the paid employment for which the residence permit was issued.

How long will I be allowed to stay?

The same as the employment contract, up to three years on a non-renewable basis.


Helpful tip: The duration of any stays undertaken by the employee with a long-stay visa or VLS-TS is deducted from the maximum duration of three years. If the planned length of stay is less than a year, foreign employees can apply for a long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit (‘VLS-TS’) marked ‘Intra-company transfer’.



Obtaining a residence permit

Where to apply

Since posted employees live outside France, they should apply to the French consular authorities in their usual place of residence.

The residence permit should be applied for at the same time as the long-stay visa marked ‘Intra-company transfer’ authorizing the foreign employee to enter France.

Find the relevant diplomatic or consular authority

Once in France, the residence permit is issued to the employee by the Prefect of their département of residence upon presentation of the long-stay visa.

Find the relevant Préfecture


When should I begin the procedure?

The procedure should be initiated no earlier than three months before the date of arrival in France.


Documents required

Applicants can obtain a list of exactly which documents are required from the authority responsible for handling the application, either in person or via its website.

Contact the relevant consular or diplomatic authority or Préfecture to obtain a list of required documents.


As an indication, you can download a list of documents that must be submitted with an application for an ‘Intra-company transfer’ residence permit for a posted employee. 




Cost of the residence permit

Applicants must pay a tax of €250 to the French Immigration and Citizenship Office (Office français de l'immigration et de l'intégration – OFII) when the permit is issued. In addition to this tax, stamp duty of €19 is also charged on residence permits.

In addition to this administrative cost of €269, the long-stay visa authorizing entry into France costs €99.

Extending your stay

The total length of stay in France may not exceed three years (including visa, initial application and renewal).

However, if the assignment is extended during this three-year period, the renewal application must be submitted in the two months before the residence permit expires.

Applicants must produce documents showing that they continue to meet the conditions of issuance of their permit.

Applications should be made to the Préfecture in the applicant’s place of residence in France.

Find the relevant Préfecture

Administrative cost: €269

Is your family coming with you?

The spouse and dependent children of the holder of an Intra-company transfer permit have accompanying family status.

The spouse should apply, and will be issued with an ‘Intra-company transfer – Family’ residence permit (Salarié détaché ICT – Famille or Salarié détaché mobile ICT – Famille). This permit authorizes the family to stay and undertake any paid employment in France as long as the foreign employee’s residence permit is valid.

Administrative cost: €269 for the spouse’s residence permit and €99 per visa issued to each member of the accompanying family.

For further information, please see the ‘Is your family coming with you?’ section.

What if I do not fall into any of the previous categories?

Foreign employees not eligible under any of the previous categories may be eligible to stay and work in France by applying for one of the following:

  • Employees with a permanent employment contract: a VLS-TS marked ‘Employee’ followed by a temporary residence permit marked ‘Employee’ or a multi-year residence permit valid for four years on a renewable basis.
  • For employees with a fixed-term employment contract or posted to France (excluding intra-company transfers): a VLS-TS marked ‘Temporary worker’ followed by a temporary residence permit (multi-year residence permits not available).

Duration of first stay: The same as the employment contract, up to 12 months.

OFII medical examination: Foreign employees must attend a medical examination within three months of arriving in France. The medical certificate issued by the OFII is requested upon issuance of the residence permit.

Republican citizenship contract: Foreign employees with a permanent employment contract must sign a citizenship contract (Contrat d’intégration républicaine – CIR).


  • Permits marked ‘Employee’: A general multi-year residence permit valid for four years on a renewable basis may be applied for, followed by a residence card.
  • Permits marked ‘Temporary worker’: A ‘Temporary worker’ residence permit may be applied for to cover a duration equal to that of:
    • The remaining term of the employee’s fixed-term employment contract or posting.
    • The employee’s new fixed-term employment contract or any extension to the employee’s posting.

Access to employment: An application for a specific work permit must be submitted to the DIRECCTE regional office in the place where the employee works.

Refusal on the grounds of employment levels: When deciding whether to issue a work permit, DIRECCTE takes into account employment levels in the profession and region in question.

Obtaining a permit: At the embassy or consulate if the employee lives outside France; at the Préfecture if the employee is resident in France.

Documents required: Please contact the relevant authority.


As an indication, you can download a list of documents that must be submitted with an application for a temporary residence permit. 


  • Permit marked ‘Employee’: VLS-TS (€241 OFII tax + €99 visa fee), temporary or multi-year residence permit (€269 OFII tax)
  • Permit marked ‘Temporary worker’: VLS-TS (€99), temporary residence permit (€269 OFII tax)

Family: Separate residence permit or family reunification procedure.

For further details, please see